PRESS RELEASE: 24/08/2022
The meeting of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Somaliland and the important points that came out of the country today.
The 98th session of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Somaliland, chaired by the President of the Republic of Somaliland, Mr. Muse Bihi Abdi, accompanied by the Vice President of Somaliland, Mr. Abdirahman Abdilahi Ismail (Sailici) was analyzed on issues such as the country’s security and elections.
First of all, the council noted that the Committee for Registration of Political Organizations following the rules set for the country completed the first stage of registration of political organizations, which passed 15 political organizations that were given temporary permission to operate. According to the law, the current three national parties will not enter the first phase of the 15 Political Organizations, but the parties will participate in the competition for the election of the political parties/organizations that will emerge in the three national parties that will be given party certificates. participating in the Presidential Election of the Republic of Somaliland.
Based on the above mentioned issues, the Council issued the following points:-
1. In matters of party/association elections, the laws of the country such as the Constitution, the General Elections Act No. 91/2020, the Law on the Registration of Political Organizations and the Approval of National Members No. 14/2011 and the resolution issued by the Constitutional Court shall be followed. .
2. The government of the Republic of Somaliland, implementing the 6th article of No. 14/2011, which stipulates that the three national parties in the country should be contested once every 10 years, has completed the legal measures for the government in this regard.
3. The government is committed to completing the registration, classification and election of political parties/organizations in the time specified by the law, while the law has assigned these activities to the Committee for the Registration of Political Organizations and the Approval of National Members and the National Elections Committee.
4. Anyone who has a complaint about the implementation of the election rules can file a complaint with the competent judicial authorities. However, no one has the right to arbitrarily and unlawfully search as they wish.
5. Protecting National Security, Law Enforcement and preventing violence are among the responsibilities of the Government.
6. The cabinet commends the security forces for protecting the security of the country for their readiness in every place and at any time, and the council strongly warns against anyone who harms or opposes the security forces with actions that are contrary to their duties
PRESS RELEASE: 24/08/2022